How to Download: B.C. Vaccine Passport App for iPhone and Android
British Columbia has announced more details about the BC Vaccine Card, sharing information about the rollout on Tuesday.
The BC Vaccine Card will have a secure, individualized QR code and image showing vaccination status as “vaccinated” or “partially vaccinated”. Businesses will scan QR codes from a QR reader app using a smartphone or tablet, while also verifying a person’s ID (B.C. driver’s licence or BC Services Card or Passport or Photo ID issued by another province or territory).
B.C. says a mobile QR reader app for businesses will be released for iPhone and Android near the initial September 13, 2021, requirement date for at least one dose of vaccine.
Right now, B.C. residents can get their B.C. Vaccine Card by going to: gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard. The card is a PDF that shows your name, vaccination status and a QR code. Digital copies can be saved to your phone or people can print a paper version.
Currently, there’s a digital queue as demand is high on the website.
“Getting vaccinated means we can bring people back together and do more, safely, and with confidence that we’re not putting those who aren’t fully vaccinated at risk,” said Premier John Horgan, in a statement.
“We have made the BC Vaccine Card easy for people to get, and easy for businesses to check at a glance. The card is a significant step in getting our economy running on all cylinders, and returning to social events safely with the confidence that those around us are also fully vaccinated,” said Horgan.
Starting September 13, you’ll need at least one dose of vaccine to enter the following places, for those born in 2009 or earlier (12+):
- Indoor ticketed sporting events
- Indoor concerts, theatre, dance and symphony events
- Licensed restaurants and restaurants that offer table service (indoor and patio dining)
- Pubs, bars and lounges (indoor and patio dining)
- Nightclubs, casinos and movie theatres
- Gyms, exercise facilities/studios, pools and recreation facilities
- Businesses offering indoor group exercise
- Indoor adult group and team sports for people 22 years old or older
- Indoor organized events with 50 or more people. For example: Wedding receptions, organized parties, conferences and workshops
- Indoor organized group recreational classes and activities like pottery, art and choir
- Post-secondary on-campus student housing
Here are the three statuses available from the BC Vaccine Card QR code:
The B.C. government says the BC Vaccine Card verifier app will be available for download in Apple’s App Store for iPhone users and Google’s Play Store for Android smartphones, as the system will be similar to what’s currently available in Quebec. Stay tuned as we’ll update this post accordingly with download links as they go live.