Powkiddy A20 – An Amlogic S905D3 powered portable Android game console
Powkiddy A20 is a 3.5-inch portable Android game console based on the same Amlogic S905D3 processor found in Khadas VIM3L SBC, equipped with 2GB RAM, 8GB storage, and supported 18 different emulators for gaming. It could potentially also be an interesting platform to play with AOSP, as we’ll see below.
Preliminary specifications for Powkiddy A20:
- SoC – Amlogic S905D3 quad-core Cortex-A55 processor @ 1.9GHz with Arm Mali-G31MP2 GPU supporting OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.0 and OpenCL 2.0
- System Memory – 2GB DDR4 RAM
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash, MicroSD card socket
- 3.5-inch IPS screen with 640×480 resolution
- Micro HDMI port to connect to external monitor or TV
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n/ WiFi 4 and Bluetooth
- User input – Rocker, D-Pad, A/B/C/D/X/Y buttons, volume buttons, and power button
- USB – 1x USB-C port for charging
- Battery – 3,000 mAh good for about 3.5 hours of play time
- Dimensions – 14 x 8.7 x 1.8 cm
- Weight – 185 grams
The console runs Android 9.0 operating systems and supports 18 kinds of simulator games including N64, DC, PSP, PS, CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, FBA, NEOGEO, GBA, GBC, GB, SFC, FC, MD, PCE, mame, and WSC. WiFi can be used to download games, and Bluetooth to add up to four controllers.
Note that since Khadas VIM3L is officially supported in AOSP, Amlogic S905D3 platforms could be made to run the latest Android 11, or even the upcoming Android 12, but the company went with the Amlogic SDK, probably for better support and possibly Google services.
Powkiddy A20 is not available yet, but should eventually be offered on the official Aliexpress store.